You spend a lot of time working on and thinking about your website – so it’s natural to wonder what you can do to improve your site’s experience for your customers. Fortunately, answering that question is usually as easy as getting out there and doing your research.
In this post, we’re sharing our top resources on all things UX and optimization. Dive into any one of them to learn how to improve your website, and how to identify what’s not working.
Best for: Understanding your customers and their behavior
Before you can create a great website that offers a stunning UX, you need to understand exactly who your customers are and what they care about. Here are a few resources we recommend:
- How to create a user persona in 4 easy steps. If you haven’t created user personas yet, this post will offer an easy 4-step method (and a template) to use.
- How to do your own market research. Even if you’re on a lean team, market research is important. This handy resource will help you learn how to do it (without blowing your budget).
- Psychographics and personas: how to get the truth about why people buy. This post is excellent for anyone who needs to learn how to combine psychographics and demographics to understand how and why people buy, and how to use those insights in your marketing efforts.
Best for: Identifying what drives your bounce rate
Bounce rate is one of the most important metrics site owners can use to identify problems with site engagement and conversion. It’s also an excellent place to start when you want to gauge the effectiveness of site edits. If you want to learn more about what drives your bounce rate up or down, we recommend these resources:
- The complete guide to website heatmaps. This piece offers helpful chapters about how to create, use, and analyze heatmaps.
- Funnel analysis: how to fix drop-offs and increase conversions. This is a great resource for anyone who wants to learn how to identify key traffic sources and spot high bounce-rate pages to improve conversion rates.
- The complete guide to session recordings. This helpful resource is great for helping anyone understand what session recordings are, why they help you improve your site, and how to use them.
Best for: Understanding and improving the customer experience
Once you know who your customers are, it’s time to commit yourself to improve their experience on your site. Here are some resources to help:
- Understanding and improving the customer experience. This long-form piece is a multi-chapter investigation of everything that makes up the customer experience – including why it’s important, what it is, and how you can improve it.
- 5 critical questions to ask customers when a product isn’t selling. What happens when your product, good, or service isn’t selling? This post provides 5 smart questions to ask customers so you can help your sales bounce back.
- How to set up an e-commerce post-purchase survey in 7 steps. Get more information about the customer experience from customers who have recently purchased from you with smart post-purchase surveys. This post tells you how.
Best for: Learning how to ask for feedback
Asking for feedback is a critical piece of the sales and UX process, but learning to do it can be difficult. These resources will help you hone your process:
- The ultimate guide to survey questions with 50+ examples. If you’re new to sending surveys, this beginner’s guide will help you understand dos, don’ts, and the best examples in the industry.
- The 15 best website survey questions to ask customers. Learn where to survey customers, what to ask, and how to use online survey tools to boost your UX.
- You’ll want to try this yourself: 20+ survey examples from real websites. This resource provides more than 20 examples of on-site feedback surveys from real-live websites you can visit.
Learning to Improve Your UX, One Resource at a Time
Great UX is made, not born. Fortunately, there are dozens of excellent resources out there to help you learn how to improve yours. The 12 listed in this post are great places to start and will help you become a pro at identifying bottlenecks, improving your site’s user experience, and ensure your products sell like hotcakes.
If you’re looking for professional help to improve your UX, inThink is here for you. Our team of expert UX designers will overhaul your site and help you provide a truly unforgettable experience for your customers. Contact us today to learn more.